Wednesday, December 5, 2007

And for everything, a reason...

I'm one of those that believes everything happens for a reason. Sometimes we won't know the reason until much later in life, or sometimes, the reason is fairly immediate.

Such was the case a couple of weeks ago.

I had to shop at the local Wally World. Normally I am in and out of there in under an hour. I do NOT like shopping there, but there are times when it's just unavoidable. I become one of the most impatient people in that store. I don't browse, I don't deviate from my planned list of goods which is made out according to the store layout. I try to get into the shortest checkout line and if this store offered the automated checkout, I would choose that. 

On that evening, when I had been away from my home all day, taking care of Mother, I went there, did my shopping in record time and had loaded my groceries on the checkout belt. The people in front of me were in the process of checking out, so I thought this was going to be a breeze. Instead, the young girl processing their payment form made an error. The manager had to be called and my thoughts of getting out of there quickly came to a screeching halt. The cashier offered to put my items back into my cart so that I could switch lanes. Where normally I would take her up on that offer, I felt calm and peaceful. I told her that I could wait, no worries. After about 15 minutes, we were able to continue. The cashier felt horrible about her mistake and the time it had cost me. I calmly told her not to worry about it, everything happens for a reason and I'm sure it would all work out OK.

Driving home, about 3 miles into that 10 mile country drive, I came across a horrific accident. Flipped cars, broken windshields, etc. It had happened about the time I would have been driving through had I not waited in that line. I got chills as I slowly made my way past the county patrol cars and ambulances. I said a thank you to God and His angels watching over me. For there, but by the Grace of God, go I.

Take care - Me

1 comment:

Marcus said...

I hate that road going out to your house. I'm surprised people don't die on it every day.

I'm glad you were paying attention to the inaudible messages that day. I think that most people get them, they just don't listen.